SCATE (pronounced just like SKATE)

Posted by on October 15, 2013

The past weekend we had our first SCATE Night of the semester. SCATE stand for Sharing Creative Art Through Expression. SCATE is a student organization that strives to provide creative outlets for student artists. So our SCATE Night is a performance-based show were artists from all over campus showcase their talent to their peers. Luckily, we have the opportunity to develop and online presence and host other events that cater to specific avenues of art.

Two years ago, two friends of mine (Lamar Hunter and Cam Kimber) and I were all sitting in the Multicultural Affairs office with two of our advisors (Tramaine Brown and Desmond Lee). Lamar and I both came from Charleston County School of the Arts, so we were both missing the ever-present creativity and performing arts once we entered Wofford. Cam always talked about performing his raps and freestyles. Desmond and Tramaine were always supporting our new ideas. So that day in the office was when SCATE was born. We all had long boards that we rode around on and we were contemplating about how we could nurture art at Wofford and provide another weekend activity than just the party scene. That’s where the name came from, “skaters with creativity,” as Tramaine once said. SCATE has grown through leaps and bounds since that initial day.

Cam and Lamar have since graduated and I now work with some super talented people to make SCATE even better than before. However, what’s really interesting is looking at SCATE was during the idea process with just three fun-loving students compared to now with a ten man crew of art lovers working towards changing the creative culture around here. Fortunately not much has changed. People still support us and the faculty and staff are always looking for ways to help us grow. I’m just proud to know that I’m doing something that I love.