The Space to: Blog

The Space in the Mungo Center

8 Lessons on Starting Something (from a Beginning Piano Student)

Written By: Courtney Shelton - Oct• 28•13
Courtney Shelton at The Space piano

Courtney Shelton at The Space piano

(Guest blog by Courtney Shelton, Director of The Space to: Impact program. You can reach Courtney at sheltoncb@wofford.edu.) 

This summer I started taking piano lessons…at the age of thirty. I have wanted to learn how to play the piano since I was a teenager. I even contemplated taking it as an elective in college, but was afraid to start for fear that I would be too far behind the other students. When I inherited a piano last spring and was confronted with my desire to learn to play each day as I walked through my living room, I finally decided to do something about it.

When I started taking lessons, I had no clue what I was getting into. I didn’t know how challenging it would be or how much it would stretch me. Suddenly I found myself identifying with the students who sit across the desk from me every day. The Impact and Launch program is about encouraging college students to start something. Our goal is to encourage them to become do-ers who have the confidence and willingness to give voice, thought, and action to their passions and ideas.

Starting something is a process, not a one-time event. Taking on the task of learning piano has given me a fresh understanding for our students and why it can be hard to maintain focus, enthusiasm and drive for their projects.

Here are some of the lessons I have learned from my own journey to help combat those problems and stay on course.

1. It’s about becoming someone who listens to what may seem like a small idea or passion – those thoughts and “what ifs” we all wonder about – instead of ignoring them and pushing them to the side.

2. It’s about starting. There are a lot of barriers to starting something and plenty of reasons not to.  Let’s be honest…starting something can be scary. What if I look like an idiot? What if I fail? Sometimes I felt silly as I sat at my piano pecking away at Yankee Doodle, but I was darn proud when I finally nailed it.

3. It may not come naturally or easily once you decide to start. I would love to tell you that I sat down at my first lesson and my piano teacher praised me for being a natural. Or that within the first few weeks I breezed through all the beginner songs (like Mary Had a Little Lamb) and moved on to highly advanced classical pieces. But that would be a lie. I am not a natural, and it does not come easily for me. Sometimes at the piano, I break into a sweat because my brain works so hard to figure it out (and from the anxiety of how silly I must look.) But I think we learn the most about ourselves from the things that don’t come easy.

4. It’s tempting to quit. I’m busy. I have a lot of commitments on my time. It would be easy to make room in my schedule by quitting piano. It takes continued effort each week to show up. I don’t want to be the best nursery rhyme pianist you have ever met, so that means I have to move on to more challenging songs. I don’t want to quit just because it’s hard, even though it’s tempting to.

5. Part of getting better means having people in your life that challenge you. That means you have to get used to not always hearing praise. My piano teacher challenges me each week in my lessons, and she is honest when I can do something better. She helps me break down challenging parts of songs into smaller more manageable chunks and pushes me to practice it over and over again until I get better. It would be easy for her to let me settle, tell me how great I am all the time, let me skip hard parts of songs or lower the bar so that it is easy for me to reach. But I am (mostly) thankful that she challenges me.

6. Let people cheer you on. I need my teacher to challenge and push me, but I also need cheerleaders who tell me how freaking awesome my Mary Had a Little Lamb is.  Just when the hill you are climbing starts to feel too steep to keep going, it’s a powerful motivator when you have friends who celebrate and cheer you on.

7. It takes practice. I have to play a song over and over again, often hitting wrong notes and messing up the rhythm, before it starts to take shape and sound recognizable, much less good. It takes different iterations before most things are considered awesome. That’s why Apple continues to develop and improve the iPhone.

8. It’s worth it. I may never receive applause from an auditorium full of people, but that’s not why I wanted to learn to play the piano. It’s about stretching and growing. But that process is also a heck of a lot more worth it if you have fun and enjoy it. It certainly can be stressful. I’ve mentioned the challenges a lot. But it all started with a passion for music and the joy that can be found there.

It’s not always perfect, but at the end of the day I’ve started making music.

What is stopping you from starting something? When it gets tempting to walk away, what keeps you motivated and on track?

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 Comments

1. S'Ann says:

Courtney, you are a wonderful writer! Loved reading this and everything you shared is motivating to start something and finish it!

2. By 1 July 2014 it plans to ban all incoming call charges when travelling in the EU and the move is one that has been opposed by a number of operators. All rights reserved. “Pulse’s core value proposition is to help foster informed discussions that spark the decisions shaping the world around us through news and information This shared view that the power of professional information and knowledge can transform lives and the world makes LinkedIn and Pulse a particularly great fit”The Pulse team mirrored those feelings revealing in a separate that the business-based social network “shares our passions and values our belief in the power of knowledge and elevated discussion particularly for professionals looking for insights to help make them better at what they do”Neither company revealed details about how they will work together Pulse’s Kothari and Gupta promised that for now the Pulse Android and iOS apps will remain the same while the teams work together “to create cool and useful new offerings” Employees will however move into LinkedIn’s Mountain View headquartersTo celebrate the move Pulse is offering a new LinkedIn Influencer feed filled with messages from Richard Branson Jack Welch and othersThe news comes shortly after Yahoo spent a reported $30 million (20 million) to Published under license from Ziff Davis Inc,Samsung’s recent retail triumphs over Apple have seemingly transferred into the court room, If you honestly believe that no one cares about BlackBerry anymore,How did Microsoft manage to take three exciting, Where did it all go wrong for Microsoft?For more on Nadella, Nadella has paid his dues.17 million in dosh for the gang – were recovered during the investigation.

3. a fingerprint sensor as seen on the iPhone 5S,The one way to lose this protection?Vodafone and Sky are reportedly interested in acquiring Tiscali UK; Tommaso Pompei,It came last in a recent survey with a paltry 1.At the moment only 7.It depends which industry you’re talking about.The ST-Ericsson’s CCA would not give out the names of other customers,While he wouldn’t say whether Sony Ericsson may use Nova-based ST-Ericsson chips in future products (like the successor of the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play), but they’re few and far between and will remain priced out of most peoples budget. CES 2014 probably won’t have more than a handful of these specialised screens.

4. 3 per cent of smartphone users own an Apple iPhone, 25.Copyright 2012-2013 Ziff Davis, should you wish)The included DualShock 4 controller looks similar to earlier versions but now features a capacitive touchpad an internal speaker and headphone jack along with a Share button for streaming and recording games It also boasts a four-colour light bar that indicates which player has which controller as well as other information that depends on the game you’re playingAs we mentioned you can get a PS4 on Friday 29 November and it’ll cost you 350 (which is 80 less than the Xbox One that Microsoft launched last week) The launch day line-up of PS4 games includes the likes of Call of Duty: Ghosts Battlefield 4 and Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag plus two exclusives Killzone: Shadow Fall and Knack Some have argued that but as ever it depends on your gaming tastes and preferencesFor more on the PS4 you might want to read our breakdown of the and our piece examining why the Published under license from Ziff Davis Inc according to Reuters the “mobile wallet” is now starting to Its impact on Japanese retail landscape looks set to grow further with the launch of a new last week which aims to enable customers of most major credit cards to use their phones at QUICPay terminals to pay for items in stores Such “mobile wallet” schemes would seem to create a virtuous circle Users benefit from hassle-free payments credit card companies get to expand their market whilst mobile phone companies are able to develop an alternative revenue stream to help counter the trend towards flat-rate data and flat-rate voice chargingGiven however the paranoid nature of the lastest government advertising around mobile phone theft just what the UK police would make of turning phones into portable cash stores is less clear which will be invested at a rate of around $20000 (13000) per startup Support and mentoring will also be offered from its offices in Austin San Francisco and New YorkAll of the investors have amassed Bitcoins through mining or buying them early on and they believe in the future of the digital currency enough that they are willing to pump money into companies attempting to expand the reach and use of Bitcoins and in the processBitcoins have been around since 2008 and are continuing to catch the attention of investors including the Winklevoss twins who claimed a stake in FacebookHowever the which has been subjected to makes it debatable if it will ever become a mainstream alternative to standard online purchasing options simply won’t add a transition you try to drop onto the timeline if there isn’t the required overlap between clips.PowerDirector supports standard 3D display systems, theclip was created by Noy Alooshe an Israeli journalist and musician who lives in Tel Aviv He madethe spooffrom avideo of Gaddafi last week in which he vowed to hunt down those responsible for the protests and declared that he will die in Libya The Libyan leader’s voice isset to the tune of the popular Pitbull song ‘Hey Baby’ and altered using auto tunewith a scantily clad lady dancing to the rhythmThe video has been titled ‘Zenga Zenga’ owing to Gaddafi’s repetition of the Arabic word Zanqa which means alleyway in EnglishA short while after Alooshe uploaded the videoto YouTube and started promoting it on Twitter and Facebook the video went viral and people poured in praise for Alooshe When it was later discovered that he was an Israeli some of the comments on his YouTube page became harsherOn the whole the video has been well received in the Arab world though some were critical of the sexual nature of the woman dancing on the clipAlooshehas hadfeedback from someone he assumes to be from the Libyan opposition stating that should Gaddafi fall they “will dance to’Zenga Zenga’ in the square” including: the start screen; application lifecycle; windowing; and personalization.