The Space to: Blog

The Space in the Mungo Center

Guest Blog: 3 Reasons to Start a Business in College

Written By: Jeremy Boeh - Sep• 16•13
Rage Against the Machine T-Shirt

Source: Flickr Creative Commons. Photo by Rhys Asplundh

(Guest blog by Jeremy Boeh, Director of Wofford’s The Space to: Launch Program. Reach out to Jeremy at or @jeremy_BAY)

If starting a business was easy, this blog would be titled “The 5-step program to guaranteed millions.” As anyone who has ever started a business will tell you, entrepreneurship is hard. The chances that you’ll create the next Facebook are slim.

But I’m here to challenge you to do everything in your power to accomplish exactly that. Right now. While you’re still in school.

And to support my challenge, I give you three reasons why starting a business as a college student makes sense. For my soundtrack (every blog needs a soundtrack, don’t you think?) I’ve chosen three songs that may or may not help my argument (but they’re awesome, so listen to them anyway after you’re done reading this blog).

1. What better place than here, what better time than now- Rage Against the Machine

There is no better time to start a business than while you’re in college. You’ll never again in your life have such a strong safety net of support from family, friends, professors, advisors, and staff. These are the people who will allow you to try, try and try some more and then, when you hit the inevitable bumps, will help you pivot and drive on. You’ll be amazed by how much these people want to see you do well and succeed. But you’ll never know unless you give it a shot.

2.  I can’t fight this feeling anymore. REO Speed Wagon

How many ideas have you had while standing in the dining hall line? How do you think you’ll feel fifteen years from now if you ignore that gut feeling that says you can do something better or faster than the other guy? I’m here to say don’t fight that feeling, don’t push away the idea for solving a problem or creating a product because you don’t think it’s the right time. You’re too young for regrets, so don’t even go there. Start talking to your support system-slash-safety net about how to make your idea a reality.

3. I’ve got the skills to pay the bills – Beastie Boys

I’ll let you in on a secret: being an entrepreneur is about more than starting a business and making money. It’s about developing an attitude and outlook about life. It’s a mindset that will separate you from everyone else in the room. The people who go for it, who start something of their own regardless of its success, become better equipped to do just about anything else they set their minds to, including finding and keeping a great career. They know how to go out and make something happen.

(Shameless plug: we believe developing that entrepreneurial mindset is so important for all students that we’ve created two programs in The Space at Wofford College to help them. Our Impact and Launch programs don’t give course credit or grades. Just mentorship, skill building and hands-on business or social entrepreneurship development, from idea to functioning business.)

Do you have an idea? If you don’t have access to a place like The Space, give me a shout and let’s talk about how you can get started. If you’re at Wofford, then you have no excuses – get in here to The Space and let’s talk.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

429 North Church Street, Spartanburg, SC 29303-3663
864-597-4000 | RSS Feed | Login