Christmas in Tanzania

So what have we been doing for our Christmas break in Tanzania? Watch this video blog to find out!

Amy Powers Tanzania Blog

Christmas in Tanzania has been so much more than what I ever expected.  As I changed planes several times and arrived sleepy eyed at the Arusha airport on Wednesday the 21st, I had no idea what was awaiting me.  I arrived at 1 o’clock in the morning; when I got to the customs area I was told that the Visa fee had to be paid in US dollars, not by card or by Tazanian shillings, which posed a problem since I had been out of the states for a few months and did not have US dollars. The exchange bureau would not open until about 10 in the morning.  Let this be a lesson to fellow travelers to fully investigate what payment methods are acceptable for their Visas.

Thankfully the Customs official was kind enough to let me go outside to meet my pick up party (who happened to be my fiance’s parents) and try to figure out a way to come up with a hundred US dollars, even though no exchange bureaus were open.  So it was in a bit of a frazzled state in which I greeted my Christmas hosts.  I was busy explaining the Visa circumstances when I noticed somebody familiar standing by a column nearby.  It was my fiancé Victor!!  Hands down the best Christmas surprise ever, since I thought he was staying in the states for Christmas. This whole situation has been such an amazing blessing from God since neither one of us was really thinking we would be able to see each other this school year.  I am humbled by the way it has challenged my view of what is possible and what is impossible, and so grateful to those who made it possible. They know who they are.