A blue sky

Posted by on September 3, 2012

For my sanity, I have decided to update my blog and take a break from studying!

As a result of yesterday’s heavy rains, I am greeted with a rare sight in Beijing today…a blue sky! The rain cleared out most of the pollution and so it is absolutely beautiful today. The sky is blue and the air smells clean! Yay! As you can tell, pollution in Beijing is a major problem. It also doesn’t help that a large portion of the population here are smokers. Pollution and second-hand smoke is something that you cannot escape in Beijing.

I’m really enjoying Beijing and I’m even contemplating coming back here to work for a year or two. This city is absolutely amazing. There’s so much good food to eat (although very greasy) and things to do. For example, just the other day I went to the Silk Market. For some reason I thought the market would be an outdoor market, but it’s actually inside a 6-story building. There are shops, restaurants, and everything you could imagine in the market. It’s basically a gigantic mall, but extremely cheap, a shopper’s paradise!

On the other hand, there are some things that I just won’t get used to. For example, in China, you have to bring your own toilet paper everywhere and you can’t flush the toilet paper down the toilet. I don’t know about you, but flushing the toilet paper down the toilet is automatic for me. So, remembering not to do that is extremely hard. I also don’t understand why places won’t provide you with toilet paper. Toilet paper is definitely a luxury item here so if you ever plan on coming to China, be prepared to bring toilet paper where ever you go!

I must get back to studying, till next time.

One Response to A blue sky

1. Dana Van Hook

Miwah- sounds wonderful! I love reading your blog – we all get so excited whenever you post!!! I sent you an email today, so check that out. Also fill us blog readers in on some of the delicacies you are eating! Love you, Dana