Christmas in Europe

Posted by on November 30, 2013

Although missing Thanksgiving is probably the hardest thing a fall semester study abroad student will do, it is made just bearable by the magic of Christmas in Europe. Thanksgiving I spent at a restaurant called Gorm in the glass markets of Copenhagen. It was beautiful with Christmas trees all around the markets and lights inside and outside the building. Although it was pizza, it was a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner.

Black Friday I have to admit was not missed too much by myself as I was in Brussels, Belgium on the opening night of their Christmas markets. To celebrate Christmas everyday from 5pm, every 30 min they have a light show in the main square of Brussles. Click Here for a YouTube video I posted of the show.

Christmas Market Light Show (first night of the season

I also did a little honorary “Black Friday Shopping” at the markets. I won’t say what I bought–in case those I bought for read the blog. But there were rows and rows of little shops all throughout about 6 blocks of streets. The markets all lead up to the skating rink and Ferris wheel. The rink was closed but I went on the Ferris Wheel to get a view of the city. 

Finally, Christmas in Copenhagen has not disappointed… not at all. I went to Tivoli with my classmates and we said over and over that we felt like we were at the North Pole. It was probably the most magical place I have been at Christmas time:

Tivoli Gardens

The actual Christmas markets in Copenhagen open on December 6th. Thought I should give you a taste of what Christmas is like so far! I have noticed that there are some cultural differences in how they celebrate the holiday season here in Denmark:

• they put their Christmas tree in the middle of the room so that they an dance around it on Christmas Eve
  • they exchange gifts Christmas Eve and Christmas day is much more casual
  • they never say “Happy Holidays”, what they say always translates to Merry Christmas which perhaps is a reflection of the fact that there is greater demographic difference in the US and more homogeneity her in Denmark
  • they use giant red hearts as decoration, evidently symbolizing the heart of Jesus Christ
  • on the tree they use real candles instead of lights in family homes frequently which seems dangerous to me since they dance around it, but I’m sure they keep it safe.

They also have special Christmas beer and wine and (like we do) special Christmas baked goods. Looking forward to my last few weeks here. Still cannot believe my time is almost over.

14 Responses to Christmas in Europe

1. sandal sancu

amazing

2. yumemaru hand paint 4

It’s an remarkable piece of writing in favor of all the online people; they will

take benefit from it I am sure.

3. Mitsue

After looking over a few of the blog articles on your website, I honestly like your

technique of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the

near future. Take a look at my website as well and let me know what you

think.

4. Taylor

This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!!

Finally I’ve found something that helped me.

Appreciate it!

5. CharoletteWLoetz

I’ve been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or

weblog posts in this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this

web site. Studying this info So i’m happy to convey that I’ve an incredibly good uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed.

I most definitely will make certain to don?t omit this web site and give it a glance regularly.

6. NealBDelfuente

I’m amazed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and

interesting, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the nail on the head.

The issue is an issue that too few men and women are speaking intelligently

about. Now i’m very happy I found this in my search for something concerning this.

7. DwightHDelusia

I have read so many articles or reviews regarding the blogger lovers but this article

is truly a nice post, keep it up.

8. AlfonzoTOyellette

I was more than happy to discover this site. I want to to thank you for your time just

for this fantastic read!! I definitely savored every bit of it and i also have you book marked to check out new information in your

site.

9. AustinXThibadeau

Very quickly this site will be famous amid all blogging and site-building users,

due to it’s nice articles

10. fiverr eebest8

such an ideal means of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am

11. naked girl

I really like and appreciate your blog. Fantastic.

12. New Website

Thank you ever so for you blog article. Awesome.

13. SamuelQWerber

I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house

. Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site.

Reading this information So i’m happy to convey

that I’ve a very excellent uncanny feeling I came upon just what I

needed. I so much unquestionably will make certain to do not disregard this website and provides it a look on a

relentless basis.

14. BrandieGBevill

Hi Dear, are you truly visiting this website daily, if so afterward you will absolutely get

nice knowledge.