Christmas in Europe

Posted by on November 30, 2013

Although missing Thanksgiving is probably the hardest thing a fall semester study abroad student will do, it is made just bearable by the magic of Christmas in Europe. Thanksgiving I spent at a restaurant called Gorm in the glass markets of Copenhagen. It was beautiful with Christmas trees all around the markets and lights inside and outside the building. Although it was pizza, it was a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner.

Black Friday I have to admit was not missed too much by myself as I was in Brussels, Belgium on the opening night of their Christmas markets. To celebrate Christmas everyday from 5pm, every 30 min they have a light show in the main square of Brussles. Click Here for a YouTube video I posted of the show.

Christmas Market Light Show (first night of the season

I also did a little honorary “Black Friday Shopping” at the markets. I won’t say what I bought–in case those I bought for read the blog. But there were rows and rows of little shops all throughout about 6 blocks of streets. The markets all lead up to the skating rink and Ferris wheel. The rink was closed but I went on the Ferris Wheel to get a view of the city. 

Finally, Christmas in Copenhagen has not disappointed… not at all. I went to Tivoli with my classmates and we said over and over that we felt like we were at the North Pole. It was probably the most magical place I have been at Christmas time:

Tivoli Gardens

The actual Christmas markets in Copenhagen open on December 6th. Thought I should give you a taste of what Christmas is like so far! I have noticed that there are some cultural differences in how they celebrate the holiday season here in Denmark:

• they put their Christmas tree in the middle of the room so that they an dance around it on Christmas Eve
  • they exchange gifts Christmas Eve and Christmas day is much more casual
  • they never say “Happy Holidays”, what they say always translates to Merry Christmas which perhaps is a reflection of the fact that there is greater demographic difference in the US and more homogeneity her in Denmark
  • they use giant red hearts as decoration, evidently symbolizing the heart of Jesus Christ
  • on the tree they use real candles instead of lights in family homes frequently which seems dangerous to me since they dance around it, but I’m sure they keep it safe.

They also have special Christmas beer and wine and (like we do) special Christmas baked goods. Looking forward to my last few weeks here. Still cannot believe my time is almost over.

68 Responses to Christmas in Europe

1. Rebecca

Hi Michelle! Europe is really magic during the Christmas time. I am sure you feel really lucky about the opportunity to enjoy those magnificent views. Have a great time and Happy Holidays!

2. Jessica

I love Brussels! Never been there during christmas though, will be spending this Christmas in Copenhagen so if you have any tips I'd love to hear them!

3. armidatrentino

It was dream that I should be in Paris to celebrate Christmas eve and finally this dream is going to be true this year. I would be there in Paris to celebrate Christmas and I am too excited about my trip. I also have created an itinerary for it, please have a look.

4. Trip to Europe

I had gone to Euro trip for 5 days traveling to 5 cities each day..It was really an awesome trip..I also enjoyed Christmas celebration with my family friend in Rome.
    For this year Christmas I will be using the trip itinerary created by JoGuru Trip Planner.

5. agen nano spray

amazing to think that it took a long time and were full of struggle. This post gives a lot of inspiration to visitors of this site to continue to fight to achieve their dreams. we have articles about beauty, we are very happy if you would like to visit our website about the beauty that is agen nano spray in order to share with your friends.

6. Alexander Stewart

I adore your post man :)

7. obat gagal ginjal

I never found the article as complete as this,nice job..

8. Andrew Garcia

Amazing !!!

9. Anonymous

Very good and usefull post : http://ladenasfalt.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/commu

10. chennai tour package

Nice post and really good to read this kind of post.

11. balaji darshan tour

Great blog and it contains really astounding info to read. thanks for sharing

12. Resultado Lotofácil

gee, thanks for posting this content. was searching a long time about this and did not think anything about it!

13. TV Consoles

Looks like fun!

14. oabt asma aman

please don't stop now to share your important post .I also have a new blog about obat asma aman

15. nama obat asma anak

Finally I found your site,Lot of people join warm discussion. may I join here too? I also have a new blog about nama obat asma anak,you may want to visit. I would be happy if you visit me back

16. obat sakit tipus

can you give me more detail? many part I still didn't get it .I also have a new blog about Obat sakit tipus

17. obat tipus alami

Finally I found your site,Lot of people join warm discussion. may I join here too? I also have a new blog about Obat tipus tradisional,you may want to visit. I would be happy if you visit me back

18. obat herbal tipus

thanks for the info. may be useful for many people, for mengethui info about health please go to our new blog Obat herbal tipus

19. obat luka lambung

information that you make very useful was to continue working with things that are interesting or unique that is different from the other blogs interesting and unique about your health can go in Obat untuk luka lambung

20. pengobatan lambung

information that you make very useful was to continue working with things that are interesting or unique that is different from the other blogs interesting and unique about your health can go in cara mengobati luka lambung

21. obat maag alami

thank you for sharing ideas or creating blogs that can inspire many people may be useful, for that I recommend to visit the new blog about health Obat maag buat ibu hamil

22. obat sakit maag

interesting posts to read or refer to carefully may be useful to the reader or else visit your blog and to post about your health mengetahi can visit my new blog Obat herbal untuk sakit maag

23. ramuan obat maag

visit our new blog about health that provides precise and effective solution in terms of alternative medicine in ramuan herbal obat maag

24. obat maag mujarab

visit our new blog about health that provides precise and effective solution in terms of alternative medicine in obat maag mujarab

25. Anonymous

Your post is simply amazing …. Pirater mot de passe Facebook !

26. John Malcom

Now I acknowlede, why so much people talking about Pirater mot de passe Facebook software…That is becouse it's amazing and you must try, becouse it's free !

27. Jual Sandal Gunung

Sandal Gunung, Sandal Gunung Murah, Sandal Gunung Terbaik, Sandal Gunung Wanita, Sendal Gunung, Sendal Gunung Murah, Sendal Gunung Wanita, Sandal Gunung Yang Awet, Sandal Gunung Yang Nyaman Dipakai, Sandal Outdoor, Sandal Outdor, Sandal Outdoor Indonesia, Sandal Outdoor Wanita, Grosir Sandal Gunung, Pusat Grosir Sandal Gunung, Grosir Sandal Gunung Murah, Sandal Camping, Sandal Buat Ke Pantai, Sandal Yang Cocok Untuk Umroh, Sandal Gunung Untuk Perempuan

28. Anonymous

Simply Amazing !!!
    Pirater mot de passe Facebook

29. Anonymous

One of the best post all over the internet..You have a big heart man !!!
    Pirater mot de passe Facebook

30. Anonymous

If you don't belive in hacking softwares and programs, you must read Go Article articles for Pirater mot de passe Facebook software !

31. Anonymous

Man, you motivated me to start posting and publishing useful posts like yours, and that is reason for writting my first article about Pirater mot de passe Facebook on http://goarticles.com/ .
    Thanks for motivation, I hope that exist so much other people like me, who are motivated by you … !

32. book report help

Glancing for the best essay composing friendship on the world wide web? Well finished, you just landed on its website! We have numerous testimony of being a pinnacle recitalist in this enterprise. First of all, over 80% of our first-time purchasers revisit for our services. That information states sufficient – we hold joyous our purchasers and once they take delivery of a high-quality term paper from us for the first time, they don’t gaze for another website ever afresh.

33. thesis writing

Article publishing could also be a sculpture or perhaps Affiliate throughout Breastfeeding artwork which may be develop into knowledgeable from. Techniques as well as looms, equipment as well as progress could also be knowledgeable from, skillful as well as fantastic. it indicates to point of which skill. to supply assist to our booklovers essay publishing support is frequently fixed. to amass more throughout string please retain turn or perhaps connect to America.

34. obat luka alami

good article, which could inspire many more people to post berpretasi again in terms of good and true. also visit our new blog at obat luka alami

35. pinnacle peptides

Many thanks pertaining to revealing good data. This is proper way for you personally. purchase peptides with have confidence in Peptide Labs. You can expect your 100% good quality analysis peptides for your purchases having highest level of privacy and also advantage.

36. chennaibalajitravels

Chennai Balaji Travels Organizes a complete one day group traveling packages wholly & Separate car packages from Chennai to Tirupati

37. Catering

Nice post and really great info you shared here. thanks for sharing

38. paleo shopping list

Beautiful photos, looks like a magical holiday.

39. lemotdepassefacebook

Beatport Downloader for me is the best hacking tool on the Internet !

40. lemotdepassefacebook

Simply amazing ! http://30boxes.com/user/8467831/AlexanderStewart

41. lemotdepassefacebook

I can't explain you how much helpful is your post ! http://www.crowdspring.com/home/

42. lemotdepassefacebook

Great video about Pirater mot de passe Facebook http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xfsxc_pirater-… !

43. lemotdepassefacebook

For me, Pirater mot de passe Facebook is the best hacking tool !

44. lemotdepassefacebook

Great job !
    Beatport Downloader

45. Dalat travel & tour

Hi Michelle, i see you mention Tivoli Gardens, where it located?

46. Lotofácil Resultados

I just have to thank you, thank you for posting this article! I was looking on search engines like google and yahoo search things about but was not finding anything! I found this blog and now but could not find what I was looking for! thanks again, was very much in need!

47. pakar seo 21234

quite close post this is top i basically witness and make me acknowledge what really you speaking about i attract with this very crucial starting point all a lot of folks can buy many program thank

48. cheap 76ers authentic jerseys

Direct wholesale cheap Rams jerseys china with Paypal

49. official Heat jersey

womens Devils jersey top rate & fashion origional design for our kind customers with no tax.

50. Thunder jerseys china

new Raiders uniforms,we promise to offer the best jerseys for customers.

51. Anti

Outstanding work done. Thanks.

52. Apps

Great work. Thanks for sharing such a great informations.

53. John Meth

Great job man !

54. Robert White

Nice !

55. Parzo Marone

Nice job !

56. John Malcom

Awesome !

57. Lois Frydman

Wowww, what an amazing site you have !

58. former gop aide caught selling inauguration tickets politics

Thank you for taking the time to explain this.This is a really good site post, im delighted I came across it. Ill be back down the track to

59. wow gold

My family and i directed most of these inside of precious metal. Haven’t ever got the main silver flatware even so unfortunately sooo motivated by most of the jewelry! Extraordinarily lovely, exact article by wow gold to acquire 1/2 overall size downwards when you are relating to areas and they’ll fit in best suited! From responsibility most typically associated with my own ring, Simply put i arranged a new Antique watches to correspond Teacher Your old watches Beautiful Poppy bag along with the wow gold definitely are a additional light platinum very not really a right diamond necklace to get that designer purse. Initially I personally put on My husband and i received words of flattery all genders as well as grows older. Perhaps even complimenting whispers!Needlework rocks !. Don’t hesitate to treat yourself and additionally purchase!

60. job

very nice post brother, hopefully it's news can be received by many people.

61. software for writers

I have to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this website.

I’m hoping to view the same high-grade content from you in the future as well.

In fact, your creative writing abilities has encouraged me to get my very own site now
    ;)

62. Vintage leather bags

Superb blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers? I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Bless you!

63. Multimedia

Thanks for nice post. I would like to visit again to your website.

64. uçak biletim

İnternet erişimi olan bir bilgisayardan arama motoruna uçak bileti kelimesini aratarak uçak bileti satışı yapan bir siteye girmeniz gerekmektedir. Siteden uçak bileti seçeneğini seçerek uçuş güzergahınızı belirlemeniz gerekmektedir