Get Out of the City

Posted by on October 25, 2013

I am over halfway through my program abroad. It is unreal! I cannot ignore the fact that I am moving through the semester because the season change is like a red alert. The temperature is dropping and the daylight is getting less day by day. Europe is painted with colorful leaves in every country I have been in. It is beautiful and cozy. Tivoli in Copenhagen is a Halloween and autumn dream with the whimsical decorations, hay-bell maizes and orange twinkling lights. With cider and my knit gloves, I am loving the new season here!

The main focus I want to share today is a huge take-away I have gotten over the past few weeks. When your’e in the city if you have a chance go see the country side.

Getting out is important because you can see the heart of a culture in a different way. In some sense, cities are cities. But when you see beyond the city, you better understand the people. As Wofford students, we can understand the value in smaller places.  

While with my class in London, we went to small town England–Totnes.

A view of Totnes, Great Britain

My classmates and I learned about the city which was buzzing in the 15th century because it was a major port city. We got to experience true English weather (it would rain with almost no notice, and then be sunny the next moment) and eat traditional English meals like Sheppard’s Pie and Sticky Toffee Pudding which is the most amazing dessert I have ever tried. Both were much better than the version’s that we ate in London. It was something I was not necessarily excited about at first because it cut my time short in the city, but afterwards I would not have traded it for anything.

My parents inspired me to leave my sweet neighborhood in Copenhagen and travel outside of the main city center. We saw residential homes much like where people would live in Spartanburg. I was not expecting that at all because I am so used to the apartment style living of the city center. We also saw no cows, which kind of surprised us because they are everywhere in the country back home. There were also a few famous landmarks I would have missed out on if I had never left my comfortable home:

Me and my Parents at Frederiksborg Palace

My parents outside of Hamlet’s Castle

It really opened my eyes to how big the city is and how much I could be missing out on by staying put.

That being said, our amazing experience going out of the city in Copenhagen inspired us to leave the city of Prague while we visited the Czech Republic. We went to the city that has now become a very sleepy town, but was once the buzzing hub of silver mining, making the area rich. What we found in Kutna Hora was beautiful scenery, delicious food, and a peculiar church. The Bone Church of  Kutna Hora was established because so many people wanted to be buried there. The grounds were said o have holy dirt scattered on the property. There was a surplus of people, so they decorated the interior with the bones of 40,000 people. Here’s what it looked like: 

By the end of the tour we all agreed it was one of our favorite days. Don’t fear leaving the city. As much as there is to see inside the business of Europe’s favorite places, there is plenty to see beyond them!

10 Responses to Get Out of the City

1. Hepatitis A

i like this post, thanks

2. obat kista

Great post
    Thanks

3. full article

I enjoy you because of every one of your effort on this web page. My mom enjoys working on research and it’s really easy to see why. My partner and i notice all regarding the lively manner you deliver efficient things on the web site and therefore strongly encourage participation from other people on this concept and our favorite daughter is learning a lot. Take advantage of the remaining portion of the year. You have been doing a wonderful job.

4. fashionet

I agree with you, when you travel or visiting foreign countries, it's best to try to visit the country side as well not just the big city. that way you can see the better picture of the culture of the countries you visiting.

5. Michel

Hello there, I found your website by the use of Google whilst looking for a related subject,

your website came up, it seems to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Hello there, just turned into alert to your

blog via Google, and found that it’s truly informative.

I’m going to watch out for brussels. I’ll be grateful in the event you continue this in future.

Numerous other folks can be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

6. Paige

Greetings! Quick question that’s entirely off

topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?

My blog looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4.

I’m trying to find a template or plugin that

might be able to fix this issue. If you have

any recommendations, please share. Appreciate it!

7. Stella

Greetings from Carolina! I’m bored to tears at work so I

decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break.

I enjoy the knowledge you provide here and can’t

wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your

blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI,

just 3G .. Anyways, fantastic site!

8. Da Lat

It's same the attractions with Dalat countryside

9. ?????BVLGARI?

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available:Anderson Cooper, anchor of CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360,” has contributed reports to CBS News’ through an agreement between CNN and CBS News since the 2006-07 season. The 2012-13 season will be his seventh on “60 Minutes”; he remains a full-time employee of CNN.

10. Fatimah Mcgary

It seems like nice post, however it just one particular side of your medal. Great reading in any case, I always appreciated fantastic brain teaser and solid amount of awesome information.