Get Out of the City

Posted by on October 25, 2013

I am over halfway through my program abroad. It is unreal! I cannot ignore the fact that I am moving through the semester because the season change is like a red alert. The temperature is dropping and the daylight is getting less day by day. Europe is painted with colorful leaves in every country I have been in. It is beautiful and cozy. Tivoli in Copenhagen is a Halloween and autumn dream with the whimsical decorations, hay-bell maizes and orange twinkling lights. With cider and my knit gloves, I am loving the new season here!

The main focus I want to share today is a huge take-away I have gotten over the past few weeks. When your’e in the city if you have a chance go see the country side.

Getting out is important because you can see the heart of a culture in a different way. In some sense, cities are cities. But when you see beyond the city, you better understand the people. As Wofford students, we can understand the value in smaller places.  

While with my class in London, we went to small town England–Totnes.

A view of Totnes, Great Britain

My classmates and I learned about the city which was buzzing in the 15th century because it was a major port city. We got to experience true English weather (it would rain with almost no notice, and then be sunny the next moment) and eat traditional English meals like Sheppard’s Pie and Sticky Toffee Pudding which is the most amazing dessert I have ever tried. Both were much better than the version’s that we ate in London. It was something I was not necessarily excited about at first because it cut my time short in the city, but afterwards I would not have traded it for anything.

My parents inspired me to leave my sweet neighborhood in Copenhagen and travel outside of the main city center. We saw residential homes much like where people would live in Spartanburg. I was not expecting that at all because I am so used to the apartment style living of the city center. We also saw no cows, which kind of surprised us because they are everywhere in the country back home. There were also a few famous landmarks I would have missed out on if I had never left my comfortable home:

Me and my Parents at Frederiksborg Palace

My parents outside of Hamlet’s Castle

It really opened my eyes to how big the city is and how much I could be missing out on by staying put.

That being said, our amazing experience going out of the city in Copenhagen inspired us to leave the city of Prague while we visited the Czech Republic. We went to the city that has now become a very sleepy town, but was once the buzzing hub of silver mining, making the area rich. What we found in Kutna Hora was beautiful scenery, delicious food, and a peculiar church. The Bone Church of  Kutna Hora was established because so many people wanted to be buried there. The grounds were said o have holy dirt scattered on the property. There was a surplus of people, so they decorated the interior with the bones of 40,000 people. Here’s what it looked like: 

By the end of the tour we all agreed it was one of our favorite days. Don’t fear leaving the city. As much as there is to see inside the business of Europe’s favorite places, there is plenty to see beyond them!

16 Responses to Get Out of the City

1. Sydney Plumber

Great site you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed here? I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it!

2. https://storify.com/costcoobeds72/article-costco-beds-40

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I am now not certain whether this publish is written through him as nobody else recognise such certain approximately my trouble. You are amazing! Thank you!

3. 2014-2015 Long Sleeve

China Everbright delays $6 billion HK listing: sources HONG KONG (Reuters) – China Everbright Bank Co Ltd (601818 but for being behind the curve.

4. similar website

Hello! I was curious to know if setting up a blog website such your own: is difficult to do for unskilled people? I have been hoping to set up my own website for a while now but have been turned off because I’ve always believed it demanded tons of work. What do you think? Thankyou

5. Oakley Prescription Blender - Sunglasses Shop

“I don’t think we’re in trouble,” he said. “We’re down 2-1, not 3-0 and losing in the bottom of the ninth. You go out and play a good game [Tuesday night], you feel a lot different. The mood can change a little bit.”

6. www.youtube.com

File a lawsuit against the driver at fault if a fair negotiation is not possible.

Assess the duration and the law companies he is associated to to ascertain his

know how. All types of damages that are caused during an accident can be compensated

through a particular amount of money which is claimed by the victim from

the insurance company.

7. www.youtube.com

Tip no 2: Always go for the St Petersburg Lawyers who has proper training and exposure.

Accidents are results of negligent driving skills, irresponsible loading, and irregular lane driving.

This also means that there is a greater chance of automobile accidents.

8. http://www.fotolog.com

You will also need a pizza shovel (also called pizza peel) to be

able to put the pizza onto the plate and get it out once more.

9. www.youtube.com

If you have a private damage case, your lawyer will work in your behalf to get you truthful and just compensation. Your HR department may also be able to give you a copy of the form, but you should not count

on it. Always select a representative who has encountered several

cases prior to your case.

10. Margherita

He must be well respected in the legal profession an upstanding,

honest and fair man. You also are subject to damages awarded for your pain and suffering and any emotional distress caused by the accident.

11. cheap wow gold

Some of these cheap wow gold http://www.ugameoffer.com/ can be the cutest issues really and in addition they yank significantly very good fascination. I have been normally closed nd complemented within a hallways in the, these are generally superior purpose virtually all ough enjoy somethin sort of uninteresting upon they just bring in disposition into the dress.have a new blue and so charcoal ones, qualifing for the red-colored brands immediately. DEFFINATELY A must IN EVERY GIRLS House ;)

12. Oakley Carbon Blade Prescription Sunglasses

Oldham Athletic 0. 62:36 Foul by Jonathan Grounds (Oldham Athletic). 63:53 Foul by Martyn Campbell (Ayr United). 28:20 Attempt saved. Robbie Willmott (Newport County) header from very close range to the bottom right corner. 2:46 Attempt missed. 14:15 Attempt saved. Edward Upson (Yeovil Town) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the right. Conceded by James Husband. 70:36 Corner.

13. go to my site

My spouse and I stumbled over here by a different page and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to going over your web page again.

14. Full Record

Hi there! I hope you do not mind but I decided to publish your website: to my online directory. I used, “” as your site title. I hope this is fine with you. In the event that you’d like me to change the title or perhaps remove it entirely, contact me at my mail. Thank you so much.

15. great post to read

Searching delicious.com I noticed your web site bookmarked as: . I am assuming you book marked it yourself and wanted to ask if social bookmarking gets you a ton of site visitors? I’ve been considering doing some book-marking for a few of my sites but wasn’t certain if it would yield any positive results. Thank you.

16. Visit This Link

Very good blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any user discussion forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Cheers!