“Ama la Vida”

Posted by on October 21, 2013

Well, it has definitely been a while since I last posted thoughts and reflections and now I have some new ones to share.  It has been a while because I have been very busy with the due dates of lots of work approaching and with a bunch of traveling and activities.  Let me tell you: if I could have one wish from a genie in a bottle, it would be for more hours in the day.  With these hours I still couldn’t possibly share and explain everything that has been on my mind from the multitude of experiences that I’ve had since last time. However, I do want to share a couple of things that tie into a greater theme that I’ve been mulling over.

Right after my last post, my classmates and I traveled to the Ecuadorian páramo (highlands) to Parque Nacional Antisana, a national park that is at 4,100 meters of altitude or almost 13,500 feet for those of you US Americans who can’t conceptualize in meters (don’t worry, I still can’t after 3 months in this country).  We spent 3 days there studying the highland ecosystem, which is much like winter in the deserts in the west of the United States.  It was very windy with low-lying, grassy vegetation, and tall mountains surrounding the snow-covered Antisana Volcano, Ecuador’s 4th tallest.

Volcán Antisana, 4th tallest volcano in Ecuador

On our second day in the páramo, our professors gave us a mostly free morning to go exploring on our own in order to have a personally intimate experience with the ecosystem, more or less.  Two friends and I decided to take off on a hike up one of the mountains in order to catch a good view of the area.  The trek was probably one of the most difficult hikes I have ever done because of the altitude, the grasses that cover this already steep mountain are waist high, super dense and there is no trail that leads people up because it is very little (maybe not at all) traveled.  It took the three of us two or three treacherous hours to reach the rock face that lead to the very top.  I wanted to catch an even better view so I bouldered up the rock face and climbed the rest of the way to the top of the mountain.  The view of the rest of the area was absolutely breath taking and completely worth the climb to the top.  When it was time to descend from the mountaintop, we took the easy way…rolling and tumbling all the way down!  We were like children screaming and laughing as we toppled from one patch of tall grass to the next.  By the time we reached the bottom, we were covered from hair to wool socks in grass and leaves that I still find to this day in my things.  I felt like a little girl again, completely occupied and entertained by the simplest of pleasures – such a raw and perfect moment!

View of the Ecuadorian Páramo

Another view of the Ecuadorian Páramo

Adventure Buddies!

I don’t know if you have ever experienced in your life being completely pleasantly overwhelmed by a place and a moment, but this was the first of a series of moments like this that I have had in the last weeks.  This is something that I don’t experience often, though I wish I did, and it is unforgettable when I do.  I won’t even do the experience justice by trying to explain it, but am going to try because I want you to experience it vicariously.  In these moments I feel completely full – full of immense satisfaction, elation, freedom, appreciation and amazement.  I believe that in these moments, I am being the most rightly affected that I can be by the creation surrounding me.  All I could do in those moments was praise God over and over for His creativity and love for me that He would give me this moment to experience a taste of His Glory, His character.  I know for a fact that I experienced a glimpse of my Creator here because the whole thing felt supernatural and unexplainable.  I don’t think that you can experience such pure and intense joy like this without the presence of a good and loving God, at least I never did before I knew Him.  What a blessed moment, but that wasn’t it…

There passed two weeks time before we were off again on excursion to the world famous Galápagos Islands!  This is what I had been waiting for and was SO excited about all semester up to that point.  I knew that we would have a great time and learn a lot but I did not realize what an awesome spiritual experience I would have!  The day we arrived to the islands my group boarded the boat that we would live on for half the week and set sail for our journey of island hopping.  After settling in for a bit, I went exploring the boat and climbed up to the very top of the vessel to the roof where I found a few solitary moments to take in what was going on.  I was cruising over the deep blue waters of the Pacific Ocean, passing islands left and right under the strong equatorial sun and through fresh, salty air that clung to my skin and hair. I felt like a maritime explorer, seeing the world for the first time, totally free of all stresses, anticipating an approaching adventure.  What?!  Was this really happening to me?!  I tell you no lie, friend, I was on top of the world.  I felt like I could just fly away in my ecstasy, like what I was experiencing was not real, yet I felt the most alive that I have ever felt.

Sailing Away in the BEAUTIFUL Galápagos Islands

Our captain stopped the boat at Isla Lobos de San Cristóbal, an island full of sea lions and tons of other wildlife.  We anchored and hopped in pangas (little boats) to ride to our snorkel spot close to the shore.  I was geared up for adventure at this point, adrenaline pumping through my veins about to carry me into the other world under the sea.  As soon as we arrived, I hopped right out of the panga and into the icy (yeah, it was really cold) depth swimming with creatures of all shapes and sizes.  It amazes me every time I snorkel just how different a world it is in the oceans.  All organisms are completely different from anything you see on land and it can be thrillingly terrifying!  My heart was racing from a combination of being submerged in the cold water and swimming with creatures I only see in pictures and movies.  I was seeing species in real life that only exist in this part of the world, around these islands!  I was diving and swimming within arm’s reach of sharks and rays, testing my nerves and my lungs to get the perfect photo and a great look into the eyes of the ocean’s top predators.  I swam in and out of tunnels created by lava flow in the crust, imagining that we were the first ones to see this part of the world and we were the first humans that these sea creatures had ever encountered. To think about these days of snorkeling makes my heart race again with excitement.  I loved being able to explore this other facet of our planet and once again see the creativity of our Creator in a whole new way!

Under the Sea

Swim, Swim, Swim, Swim, SHARK!

Tortuga Stalking

My New Pal

Ok, one more story and then I’ll stop.  I’m telling you though, the frequency with which I have these experiences normally is small compared to these months, so I have to enjoy and recount them.  I think my favorite spirit-filled moment occurred after my group arrived to Isla Isabela, the biggest island of the Galápagos archipelago.  We stayed for the rest of our visit in this small, eclectic town called Puerto Villamil with Ecuadorian families who live there.  We had snorkeling and hikes in the mornings during these days, but the afternoons we generally had free to experience Galápagos Island culture aka hang out on the beach, play volleyball and surf with locals.  One of my good friends in the program is from southern California and is a skilled surfer, so she apprenticed me in the way of the waves.  We spent long afternoons in the surf, becoming one with the swells and paddling and paddling and did I say paddling (?) to catch those swells in just the right moment as they crested.  As I got the hang of the sport and got good enough to ride the waves all the way out, I began to imagine a life as a beach bum on the Galápagos Islands (as if that would ever be my life).  Life would consist of watching the surf for hours in a day, coming to an intimate knowledge of the cycle of tides and a good sense of the water’s movement and projected path.  I would know every good surf spot on the entire stretch of beach on which the town lies.  My imagination ran away so far that I could feel all the way to my soul the satisfaction of being carried away flying with the troop of white water.  I think that surfing is really good for the soul because it requires one to have a pretty deep understanding of the motion of the ocean and a good instinct to be successful.  I think that this is one example of the way humans were meant to relate to their natural environment – with understanding and instinct on how to react and act with it.

Galápagos sunset after a good surf

As a whole nowadays we have such little understanding of our natural world and therefore we are detached from it and are apathetic to what happens to it.  I am an Environmental Studies major and I will fully admit my detachment from it many times but my experiences this semester in this beautiful country are showing me how much I miss out on.  I lose out on such incredible spiritual experiences that grip me to my soul and shake my worldview for the better.  While this semester in Ecuador has been really challenging to my whole being, it has been spiritually strengthening for me in ways that I am not used to.  God has revealed Himself to me in ways outside of how I normally experience Him, so I have been moved into deeper adoration of Him and appreciation of His creation because of how it reveals to me His character.  I think that Ecuador’s national motto, “Ama la Vida,” about sums up these last few months for me and my spiritual being.  It means “Love Life” essentially, and I am surely doing that by the grace of a great God.

2 Responses to “Ama la Vida”

1. air jordan

Mandela l

2. WalterFuh

Detailカラー : ブラック 約横21cm×縦12cm×幅3cmストラップの長さ:約35cm重量:素材 : パテントレザー仕様 : 開閉種別:ファスナー内部様式:カードポケット×6、オープンポケット×2外部様式:ファスナーポケット×1、オープンポケット×1その他:-COACH世代を越えて知的でハイセンスな女性に愛され続ける実力派ブランド『COACH』コーチファクトリーのアウトレットより、スト�|||超人気 新作 ポーチ ポーチ アウトレット COACH F49883 B4/BK ペイトン オプアート エンボスパテント リストレット コスメポーチ ブラック coach f49883 b4bk 限定品 超人気 新作

Detailカラー : カーキ/ダークブラウン 約横31cm×縦20cm×幅10.5cm ハンド長さ:約48cm素材 : ジャガードキャンバス/レザー仕様 : 開閉種別:ファスナー内部様式:ファスナーポケット×1、オープンポケット×1、モバイルポケット×1外部様式:-その他様式:底鋲×4付属品 : COACH世代を越えて知的でハイセンスな女性に愛され続ける実力派ブランド『COACH』コーチからシグネチャー柄�|||経典 COACH ショルダーバッグ バッグ coach 10507 BKHDB ハンプトンズ シグネチャー ショルダーバッグ カーキ/ダークブラウン お買い得 coach 10507 bkhdb 激安限定

Detailカラー : シルバー/ブラックホワイト/ブラック 約横上部25cm/下部26cm×縦18cm×幅11cmショルダー長さ:約115cm、持ち手長さ:約40cm重量:約420g素材 : キャンバス/パテントレザー仕様 : 開閉種別:マグネットホック内部様式:ファスナーポケット×2、オープンポケット×1、モバイルポケット×1外部様式:-その他:底鋲×4COACH世代を越えて知的でハイセンスな人々に愛され続け|||COACH OUTLET お買い得 COACH バッグ バッグ コーチ アウトレット バック かばん F22907 SBWBK シグネチャー ストライプ ミニ キャリーオール ブラックホワイト/ブラック 100%新品 coach f22907 sbwbk 新作登場

Detailカラー : クリームライトカーキ/ホワイト 約横30cm×縦26cm×幅5cm持ち手の長さ:約46cm、ショルダーの長さ:約90~105cm重量:約600g素材 : サテン/カーフレザー仕様 : 開閉種別:ファスナー内部様式:ファスナーポケット×1、オープンポケット×1、モバイルポケット×1外部様式:クリップ式ポケット×1その他:-COACH世代を越えて知的でハイセンスな女性に愛され続ける実力�|||経典 COACH ショルダーバッグ バッグ コーチ アウトレット COACH F22301 SVB50 クリスティンシグネチャーホーボー ショルダーバッグ クリームライトカーキ/ホワイト 最新の格安本物 coach f22301 svb50 お買い得

Detailカラー : カーキ/グリーン 約横19.5cm×縦10.5cm×厚み3cm-素材 : シグネチャーキャンバス/レザー仕様 : 開閉種別:スナップ内部様式:カードポケット×13、オープンポケット×2 外部様式:ファスナー式収納×1(内部:ファスナーポケット×1 )外部様式:-その他:-COACH世代を越えて知的でハイセンスな女性に愛され続ける実力派ブランド『COACH』コーチファクトリーのアウト|||上質 COACH 長財布 財布 COACH OUTLET コーチ アウトレット 長財布 ラウンドファスナー長財布 サイフ さいふ F47718 SVB60 シグネチャーストライプ カーキ/グリーン coach f47718 svb60 SALE 上質

朝夕の眩しい陽射しや、路面や車からの反射光の眩しさからクリアな視界を作り出すこと、それは快適なライディングにとって重要な要素です。J-Cruiseには歪みの少ないすっきりした視界を可能としたスモークカラーの開閉式インナーサンバイザー「QSV-1サンバイザー」を採用。強い日差しから視界を守り、天候の変化やトンネルなどによる急な明るさの変化にも、レバー�|||SHOEI J-Cruise パールグレーメタリック

肝心要のベースをパイプハンドルに装着するなら、どんな環境下にでも安定した保持性を実感できるパイプクランプベースです。すっきりしたデザインなのにもかかわらず、高剛性、耐候性にも優れています。送料サイズ(単品時):60●バイクへの装着によるCパーツ対応表はこちら※商品画像はモニタにより実際の色と表示が異なる場合がございます。|||サインハウス マウントシステム C-1-S M5シリーズ パイプクランプベース(22mm)シルバー

定番人気のバブルシールド形状を採用しながら専用のビス止め機構を使う事で汎用ドットボタンのシールドに起こりえるぐらつきや脱落などを解消した人気商品。ヘルメット+シールド+開閉ステーを合わせての金額よりも大変お買い得になっています。●女性に人気のスモールロージェットヘルメット●開閉式バブルシールド●幅広ゴムモール仕様●内装は着脱式●ワ�|||リード工業 QP-2 スモールロージェットヘルメット レディース ビントブラウン

キャブレターボディやシリンダーフィンの奥まった部分などの洗浄に適した縦型の洗浄ブラシ。毛が固いので奥側のこびりついた汚れ落とし等に効果を発揮。送料サイズ(単品時):60|||デイトナ 41778 ナイロンパーツクリーニングブラシ

●皮革に新しいオイルを加え、柔らかさと滑らかさを保ちます。●動物性ミンクオイルが皮革によく馴染みます。●シミや色落ちする皮革もありますので、目立たない部分で試してからご使用下さい。●爬虫類等の特殊な革及びスエード・ヌバック等の起毛革には使用できません。容量:180ml送料サイズ(単品時):60|||コロンブス レザーウェア用 ミンクオイルスプレー

フットジョイアイコン ボア FJ ICON Boaゴルフシューズ #52302 52311 52294

ブリヂストンツアーステージXウェッジ フォージドメッキ仕上げ

テーラーメイドSLDR ドライバー 日本モデル グラファイトデザイン ツアーAD DI カーボンシャフト

ミズノMPクラフト 513 ドライバーパワーバージョンFUBUKI α シリーズカーボンシャフト

キャロウェイ レガシー ブラック 460 ドライバー ディアマナ W カーボンシャフト

足元が寒いと感じられる時に。テント内での使用はもちろんのこと、ご自宅での室内、車を運転される時や足元が寒いと感じられる時にとても役に立ちます。◆SEK?抗菌防臭効果?効果の耐久性?加工の安全性※こちらの商品のメーカー在庫状況は随時確認をさせていただきまして販売を いたしておりますが、ご注文のタイミングによっては品切れになってしまう 場合が�|||ナンガ NANGA テントブーツ BLU ブルー TB4

高性能なALTI ARC4+レンズを用いた高所登山用サングラスです。薄型でミラー加工を施したブルーのレンズが人気の一番のモデルです。●ALTI ARC4+:高所、海等の光線96%カットします。車の運転には使用しないでください。-JULBO(ジュルボ)-フランスのジュラ地方にて、ジュールズ?ボー、クリストフ?ボー兄弟により1888年に設立された老舗アイウェアブランド。常にファッシ|||ジュルボ JULBO モンブランノア J024614

非常にテクニカルで軽量な先行製品の最新の開発では、しわの形成を減らす伸縮性の GORE-TEXR タン構造、MammutR が開発した gripexTM イグアナ ソール – 試験済みの Reptilia ソールの新しい改訂バージョン – とデュアル強度ウェッジの一体化による山岳スポーツでの安全性と快適性の向上、などの技術革新を導入しています。特許取得のMammutR Base Fitレーシングが力をソールに移し|||マムート(MAMMUT) Claw II GTX Women レディース 5595 3030-02280

●サイズ=ワンサイズ(54~62cm)●素材=ABS樹脂●質量=340g【関連商品はこちらです】◆ その他のエバニュー製品はコチラ|||エバニュー EVERNEW オーストリアルピン AUSTRI ALPIN ユニバーサルヘルメット EBV891

キャンプ、夜釣り、暗い倉庫内、夜間の車のトラブル、防犯用など???アウトドアの必需品として、いろいろな場面で大活躍の3灯LEDランタン。吊り下げに便利な多目的フックを装備。雨でも安心の防滴仕様。g012a-06505【製品番号】6220【使用電源】単3電池4本(別売)【カラー】シルバー【本体寸法】105×105×126mm【箱寸法】120×120×143mm【本体重量】220g(箱等含む)【材質】ABS�|||LEDランタン3 6220キャンプ、夜釣り、暗い倉庫内、防犯用などいろいろな場面で大活躍の3灯LEDランタン。便利な多目的フックを装備。防滴仕様

アディダス プレデター トレーニングネックウォーマー BU887 adidas スポーツアクセサリー

プーマ トレーニングジャケット&パンツ 862216-862217-71PUMA ジャージ上下セット

デスポルチ テッサLIGHT ID (パールホワイト×ミラーシルバー×レッド) DS-932Desporte フットサルシューズ(インドア)

アディダス サッカー日本代表 ジャージータオル 2014 DDV64-F93291adidas サポーターグッズ

ナイキ ハイパーヴェノム ファントム HG 599852-080NIKE サッカースパイク

カミナンド CAMINANDO スタッズローファー 3カラー1238 レザー メンズ

CONVERSE ALL STAR DENIMPANTS HI コンバース オールスター デニムパンツ ハイ シューズ スニーカー 靴 メンズ レディース 男性用 女性用 1311

ニューバランス new balance MADE IN ENGLAND M576EKG スニーカー Dワイズ スエード×メッシュ メンズ UK ブラウン スウェード

コールハーン Cole Haan ルナグランド チャッカ 5カラーLUNARGRAND CHUKKA スエード メンズ C11185 C11186 C11187 C12008 C12009 スウェード ブーツ BOOT SAFARI掲載商品

クラークス CLARKS パドモア ワラビーブーツ ブラック78731 PADMORE スエード メンズ BLACK WALLABEE スウェード