Howdy, Internet or, brief bits of advice for abroad

Posted by on September 8, 2017

Welcome back to my blog, a haven of international musings in a sea of political musings. I am not used to the weekly blog, and instead will periodically update when I have things to add. I thought I would use this blog to give some general impressions from my first three weeks in a French home.
My first advice is to DO A HOMESTAY. I got lucky, and am able to do a homestay, an apartment, and a dorm because of my program. I understand why someone wouldn’t want to do three months in someone’s home, but If you can do it for a period, you should. But why?
First of all, you save money. I get 5 homecooked meals a week plus breakfasts, made by a real french person out of (presumably) French ingredients. There is food from all over, but you get real food and it feels like real France. AND it’s free.
Second, you automatically have a bunch of friends from your country. I realize I got lucky, but on my first day I met 4 french people , 3 of which were around my age and all of which watch Game of Thrones. We were able to connect and learn about differences without me having to leave my house. I have met more of my homestay’s French friends and I’ve benefitted from it. We like some of the same things, we can discuss it, you can practice your French with relatively little judgement, it’s great. I am friends on snap chat with 4 Parisian experts, people who live here and do the things I do. I cannot oversell the idea of knowing people.
Again, I see that this is really particular to me, but so are apartments. You could always get paired with someone you don’t really *click* with, but I would way rather get free food and advice out of it. Worst case, someone can teach you how to use the metro.
This coming week, my homestay is hosting a dinner for all of the apartment kids. Not once have they insisted I go to the apartments to see what a French apartment is like. That should say something about which you should choose.
If anyone wants to come to dinner, let me know. We’ll get you some bread and cheese