Matthew 4:4, Pan and Food

Posted by on August 15, 2017

“But he answered, ‘it is written “man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.”’” Matthew 4:4

Bread. Bread. Bread. It’s everywhere, literally. Look on a single block in Santiago and you can find more then 3 panaderías, places that specialize in selling bread (pan). In one of my rants to my friends back home she told me that she is “99% convinced the rest of the world believes the Bible is wrong about man NOT living by bread alone.”

It’s a staple in Chile followed closely by potatoes and avocados. The Hass avocado, that is sold in supermarkets in the US, is exported from Chile. But back to the bread. Chileans eat bread with everything, for breakfast, lunch, once and dinner. Breakfast consists of pan with manjar or a syrupy sweet jelly. Manjar is basically caramel with more of a buttery consistency, lying somewhere between dulce de leche and peanut butter. Lunch alternates between avocado pizza, quesadillas or just a sandwich with the obligatory avocado and mayonnaise. Once is basically snack time with cake and the same food you had for breakfast. Dinner is simple meat or pasta with a healthy side of bread. For bar food, they have Chorrillana which consists of eggs, fried onions and sausage slices heaped over a plate of french-fries. Its a little odd but really good! Check out these pretty cool pictures of dishes, mostly taken by Madison Evans because I’m more concerned about eating the food.

20170728_200231

Chorillana

Quesadilla and guacamole, aka bread and avocado

Pizza

Once, with a sandwich and tea

Hannah and I enjoying a Mote con Huesillo atop Cerro San Cristobal. This very sweet drink consists of wheat shreds and a peach topped with a cinnamon sugar water mixture

Additionally, my friend and I cooked for our host families this week. You never realize how many words you take for granted until you try to cook in a different language. It’s really hard to explain what utensils you need, in a foreign language, with eggs and raw fish all over your hands. Hannah and I attempted to cook crab cakes. In our attempts to explain what type of pan we needed to Hannah’s host mom, we ended up with something quite similar to a pot. She insisted that this was what we needed and as we cooked the crab cakes they fell apart. In the end, we had a very large crab cake that didn’t exactly stick together. We made sweet tea, of course, and fried rice. We bought a box of mac and cheese from the store that didn’t have cheese. There was no mac n cheese for dinner. For dessert we made puppy chow, the classic, messy snack. Our families seemed to enjoy the meal and I learned the difference between pot and pan in Spanish.