From the Archives

History, documents, and photos

Baseball pictures

Written By: information_management - May• 08•09

Just about everyone who visits the archives or looks in one of our display cases enjoys looking at our old photos.  I like to pass these around when student groups come in for classes because often, the subjects are things with which students today can relate.  Yesterday, I gave a presentation to two sections of the history research methods class, a course required of all history majors at Wofford.  I took it myself about 17 years ago.  (Now I feel old.)  I passed around a photo of the student body from 1899 as an example of how photographs can be viewed as evidence.  In this case, the photograph is evidence that we had women students at Wofford during those years.  Here's a link to that photo.  

I also showed them some photos of baseball teams.  Since we are nearing the end of college baseball season, and I've neglected to talk very much about baseball this spring, here are pictures of two of our older teams – one from 1895, the other from 1914.  During this era, baseball was arguably more popular on campus than football, which was banned by many colleges, including Wofford, for many years because of the violent nature of the game.  The 1895 team was especially good, with the likes of A. M. Chreitzberg, the left-most player on the first row, who was one of the college's first pitchers to throw a curve ball.  He allegedly learned to throw a curve by milking the family cow.  He was a fairly recent inductee into the Wofford athletic hall of fame.  

Baseball1895

Here's the 1914 team below:

Baseball1914

This summer, my student assistants and I will be working on digitizing many of these older college photos – sports teams, literary societies, class photos – so that we'll be able to make them more widely available on the web.  Stay tuned!  (Yes, we librarians and archivists stick around for the summer while our faculty colleagues undertake other projects!)  

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

WOFFORD COLLEGE
429 North Church Street, Spartanburg, SC 29303-3663
864-597-4000 | RSS Feed | Login