Poco a Poco

Posted by on September 14, 2017

Views from Plaza Nueva   

El Mirador de San Nicholas

El Mirador de San Nicholas

The first day I arrived to Granada, I was unsure of what to expect. But as soon as I walked into my homestay and met the family I would be staying with for the semester, I was greeted with one phrase: “poco a  poco“. This phrase is pretty simple – it signifies learning and growing little by little. The concept of continuous growth, no matter the specific amount of growth at each time, is something that I believe will carry me through during my time working on my Spanish language skills and acclimating to Spain, and the culture of Granada, specifically.

Every day, I see how the phrase, “poco a poco”, is integrated into the city that is Granada. Each day, I have the opportunity to learn, see, experience, and take in something new. As I work to become fluent in Spanish during this semester, I am aware it’s a goal that will come to fruition immediately. Goals like this flourish little by little, poco a poco. It will come as I take classes in Spanish about religion, and history, and culture. It will come as I frequent coffee shops where the waiter begins to know my name. It will come as I sing karaoke at hole-in-the-wall bars with Spaniards. It will come as I make mistakes with the language, and as I laugh off my mistakes as I learn.

Poco a poco, little by little, I will grow throughout my semester abroad.

Our class hiked to a beautiful view of the Alhambra, a signature symbol of Granada.