Frankfurt to Tel Aviv

Posted by on September 26, 2013

It is exactly a week until my flight takes off from Frankfurt headed to Tel Aviv and I am currently surrounded by piles of clothes as I start to plan my theoretically practical yet fashionable wardrobe for my Israeli adventure! It would be lying to say that I am not nervous about this upcoming semester, but I can say that I am also feeling excited and confident. I admit I was starting to freak out just a tad in August when Obama and Putin were throwing their weight around over Syria and I confess that there was space in my suitcase reserved for a gas mask [No really, military brats come prepared]. However, everything seems to have settled down and the reality is starting to sink in for me.

In the spirit of being introspective and open, perhaps I should begin with introducing myself followed up by a few thoughts/expectations on studying abroad. I am a senior at Wofford College with a double major in German/Intercultural Studies and a Business minor sandwiched in there somewhere. I grew up in the military [so moving to new places is status quo] and my family currently lives in Germany where I spent the summer working as a waitress and volunteering/interning for the American Red Cross. I know some people find it weird that I have opted to study abroad for my senior year and sometimes I wish I stayed in South Carolina. Not being at Wofford means I am jealously stalking my friends as they post photos and feeling oddly nostalgic over those cinderblock walls, but I also realize this year is an unbelievable opportunity that will help me prepare for the rest of my life.

Being in Israel will prove a huge challenge as I have never travelled there, do not know anyone in the region, and have no idea what to really expect. Furthermore, I do not speak the language and I am envisioning nightmarish situations involving myself wandering around the city lost and unable to communicate with anyone. Despite all of my reservations, I chose Israel for many of these reasons. I wanted to find a place that was unique and that would force me to branch out of my comfort zone. I already studied abroad in Germany, but, let’s be honest, it wasn’t that much of a cultural stretch for me as I speak the language fairly well and have traveled there many, many times. This time around it will not be so easy. I am going to enroll in an Arabic course [over which I anticipate spending many hours crying into my text book] and will be taking 3 other courses at an international school which will surely prove very different from Wofford. However, I know at the end of this I will have gained so much. The people and experiences will change my outlook on the world by granting me a closer look at one of today’s most disputed regions and immersing me in a new culture. Who knows what I will choose to do with this new perspective, but I am confident that I will have the building blocks for one heck of a kick-butt, post-grad life!

Thanks for reading [or not reading] my first blog post! Even if you don’t want to wade through all of this text, check out these awesome photos from my summer in Europe!

10 Responses to Frankfurt to Tel Aviv

1. Skip Thornton Heath

I found it from Google search. Actually this post has good information for me. Thanks for sharing this post.

2. sdorttuiiplmnr

I would like to show my appreciation to the writer just for bailing me out of this type of crisis. Just after exploring through the the net and obtaining proposals that were not beneficial, I figured my life was gone. Being alive devoid of the solutions to the issues you have solved through your entire posting is a critical case, and those that might have in a negative way affected my career if I hadn’t discovered the website. Your own personal understanding and kindness in taking care of all areas was useful. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not come across such a solution like this. It’s possible to at this time look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for your professional and results-oriented guide. I will not be reluctant to recommend your web sites to anyone who should get recommendations about this issue.

3. pasza dla kur niosek

I haven¦t checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I¦ll add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend :)

4. Mechanika Pojazdowa Zielonka

I think this website has got very great written content articles.

5. WWW.TIPSY-WARSZAWA.COM

I love reading through and I conceive this website got some truly useful stuff on it! .

6. anzac tours turkey

Throughout the awesome pattern of things you actually receive a B- with regard to effort and hard work. Where exactly you actually misplaced everybody ended up being in all the facts. As as the maxim goes, details make or break the argument.. And it could not be much more accurate at this point. Having said that, let me inform you just what exactly did give good results. The text can be pretty convincing and this is most likely the reason why I am making an effort in order to comment. I do not really make it a regular habit of doing that. Next, although I can easily see a jumps in logic you make, I am not really convinced of exactly how you seem to unite your points that help to make the final result. For right now I will yield to your point but hope in the foreseeable future you actually connect the dots better.

7. anzac tours turkey

I love it when people come together and share opinions, great blog, keep it up.

8. Firmy Koszalin

Hey very cool site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your website and take the feeds also…I’m glad to find numerous helpful information here within the submit, we need work out extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.

9. Garoto de Programa Brasilia

I view something really special in this internet site.

10. Hindu Lesbian

I am continuously looking online for posts that can aid me. Thx!