Day 13: Friday Night Lights

Posted by on August 30, 2012

As I mentioned in one of my earlier blog post I may be joining a Danish American football team, the Herlev Rebels. I have been talking with one of the coaches via email, and finally today I went out to one of the practices. Me and two other guys from the kollegium, John and Dylan, rode our bikes to the small town of Herlev. Herlev is located north-west from Bronshoj, and it was only about a 20 minutes bike ride from the kollegium to the practice field. After riding around for a bit and checking out the maps along the side of the road we arrived at the practice field.

Once we locked up our bikes we made our way to where the coaches were standing. I was pretty nervous because I didn’t know what to expect or know how good their english was going to be. Quickly, all of my qualms disappeared. The coaches were incredibly friendly and helpful, and they wanted us practicing right away. I expected to talk to the coaches and then them tell me to come back next time. Nope. Next thing I knew I was following a man to a storage unit filled with football pads and helmets. After selecting my gear I made my way down to the practice field. I told the coach I wanted to play defense, so instantly I was put into the linebacker group. There I met Jens, the starting outside linebacker/defense coach. Jens was a life saver. He guided me through everything from play calls to feet placement. After a while I was getting used to the 3-4 defense and the natural flow of the game. Don’t get me wrong. I was out of position quite a bit, and other times I felt like I did a good job. On one play I made it passed the line on a blitz, and I felt pretty good about myself. Then the head coach looked at me and said, “Hey, don’t touch my quarterback!”. I was about 5 feet away from the QB, but I’m not one to argue with the coach on the first day. I said yessir and kept on with practice.

Overall it was a great experience. The whole practice was tough, but playing on defense was a lot of fun. In the end I heard the most motivational speech on the planet. It was incredible. It was touching. I didn’t understand a word of it because it was in Danish. However, in the end of it I felt part of the team.

In the end of the day I am tired and slightly sore. Even though the season is almost over for the Rebels, I am happy to be part of team and glad to play.

Until next time world.

Deep Sangani

One Response to Day 13: Friday Night Lights

1. Ash

You would get moved by a speech you can't understand. love this post