Bienvenue, et l’anglais est non plus

Posted by on January 9, 2013

It must be so exciting, to be out in the world, to be free! My heart should be wildly rejoicing… oh, what’s the matter with me? I’ve always longed for adventure to do the things I never did! Now, here I’m facing adventure, and why am I so scared?? … I have confidence – they’ll put me to the test! But I’ll make them see I have confidence in me!  – Julie Andrews, Sound of Music “I Have Confidence”

Being in France is strange. It’s a new adventure, a new atmosphere, people who speak très rapidement en français, a new room, new rules, new people, but at the same time it seems oddly familiar. I am very excited to start this adventure, but I had a lot of time to doubt this journey on the longest plane ride of my life. That’s when it started getting real, and now it’s really real… which is actually pretty scary!

We were welcomed at the train station by two IES reps and BOOM – no more English. It was kind of a wake-up call like that gust of cold French wind I kept feeling while waiting on the train to arrive. It’s definitely sink or swim, and I’m doggie-paddling!

So, my first French meal was this sort of egg, cheese, and ham crepe and we had a king cake (with NUTELLA) for dessert. I would have eaten more than I did, but all that traveling and swaying and nerve roller coasters made me feel kinda bleh by the time supper was prepared. Nonetheless, we had a good conversation over dinner, the parts I understood of course. If I don’t understand sometimes I just nod and laugh when they laugh. Other times, if they ask me a question and I don’t know what they mean, I’ll act like I’m thinking about it really hard before they ask it in a different way to help out. :)

So, tomorrow, we get to sleep in a little before heading back to the IES center. Looks like the Wofford crew has a definite presence here! And, I’m beginning to think it was no coincidence that Kameron’s host mom and my host mom are sisters – it’s like these people have known us for years!

2 Responses to Bienvenue, et l’anglais est non plus

1. Katherine

I love your sunglasses!! Where did you get them from?

2. Carlin

Thanks! I ordered them off of Ebay. They are literally my favorite sunglasses in the whole wide world.