I’m up late, thinking to myself how my time here will soon just be memories. I don’t want to leave. I’m already trying to find ways that I can return to London, either for Grad School or work. It makes me so sad to think about leaving. But here are some photos from some of my favorite times here.
Things I’ve Learned since coming to London:
1. No one in London is from London.
2. 80% of the people in London aren’t even English.
3. It is much easier to catch a “written accent’ then a verbal one. I cannot stop myself from adding the a ‘u’ in color or reversing the ‘er’ in center or theater.
4. America does not have 50 states, it has five. It is New York City, Florida, Texas, California, and one random state that “my friend works in.”
5. The UK makes going green look INCREDIBLY easy. Why can’t we get on their level?
6. Do not wear heels to a pub crawl.
7. It is possible to live in a large city and still be incredibly nice. (I feel like an idiot for stereotyping large cities)
8. It is possible to see two concerts in one day. (What’s up Kanye-Direction). I actually do not know this yet, but come Sunday February 24th, I will hopefully know. More money than I would like to admit was spent on this day.
9. Money has a cool new disappearing trick.
10. Time also does this cool thing where it speeds up. Awesome.
I know it’s been a while since I’ve blogged, but I’ve been busy enjoying the city, my new friends, and keeping up with my studies. Also, I’ve found it hard to type lately (see #3 above). I hope your winter/spring is going well!
7 things I expected of the UK that were an immediate letdown:
- We didn’t land in front of Big Ben. Like, I thought that my first sight of London would be similar to this photo:
- I didn’t see One Direction as soon as I stepped off of the plane. Taylor Swift was there though, so…
- The toilets do NOT flush in the opposite direction. Somebody lied to me. They save water and flush straight down.
- I thought that I would casually blend in as a native Londoner, but the first words out of my mouth were “THEY ARE DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!” #SpotTheTourist
- I thought I was going to Hogwarts.
- Wait, but seriously though, why wasn’t One Direction there to greet me?
- I thought I knew how to grocery shop. I don’t.
I literally just googled “shopping for beginners”.