ROMO, Homecoming, Travel & Midterms

Posted by on October 22, 2018

One thing I definitely missed this weekend was Homecoming! I love Homecoming, all of the activities and seeing all of my sweet alumni friends who made my first 2 years at Wofford so memorable. If this was me last year, I would have FOMO (fear of missing out) like no other. I used to have the worlds worst FOMO- if there was something going on that I wasn’t at, I always felt like I was missing out. But in fact, I had ROMO (relief of missing out) because I know I will experience more Homecomings but I will not experience this challenging, fun, sometimes awkward adventure as a student again.

I’ve been really lucky because I’ve been able to travel and see a lot since I’ve been here (thank you mom & dad). So far, Ruhi & I have been to Munich, Madrid, Dublin on our own and Cabo de Gata, Ronda, and Córdoba with our program. Each place has been really different and I am so grateful for that.

In Munich, we went to Oktoberfest and met up with our best gal, Jordan, and her roommate. We also saw other friends from Wofford which made the weekend so much more fun.

In Madrid, we stayed in a hostel in the city center. Madrid is by far one of my favorite Spanish cities because it is huge and there is so much to do. Of course, we did all of the touristy things: Prado museum, Reina Sofia, Parque de Retiro, Bernabéu fútbol stadium, and more!

Dublin has been my favorite city so far! I loved the culture, the diversity, the food, and the views. I wish I had more time there but this will be on the list of cities I want to visit again. We did all of the touristy things + spent a day traveling to the Cliffs of Moher. We were very lucky and had perfect weather all weekend.

While in Dublin, I realized what Granada was missing- integration of diversity. A few weeks ago, I thought I was finally getting in to the groove of Granada until I started talking about why I didn’t ~loooooove~ it. *Omg Bali doesn’t love it there omg what??* Well, not all study abroad experiences are the same and social media can be so deceiving. I love Granada, but I don’t ~loooove~ it, you feel me?? I don’t think Granada is up to speed with the diversity aspect that other European cities have. Maybe it’s the size of the city that influences this, but it’s something that I wasn’t able to see until I started people watching in Dublin.

Amongst all of this travel and self-realization, it is also “mid-term” season. This semester has been different because I’m taking classes that go towards my gen-ed requirements. For the most part, they are pretty interesting and all are taught in Spanish. I am definitely going to need to adjust my study habits when I go back to Woff because exams here vs exams there are so different. 

I can’t believe I’ve been in Granada for half of a semester. I have had some great days, and not so great days- but I am thankful for all of the days that I do have here. I’m ready to conquer this latter half, eat more falafel (like I already don’t eat it enough), and make the most of these next 9 weeks!!

I’m going to try to write more, but don’t hold me accountable to that.

Until next time!

-B