The “Bubble”

Posted by on July 6, 2018

Everyone has their “bubble”, whether it be their personal bubble, social bubble or the famous “Wofford Bubble”. My bubble was DEFINITELY bursted during these first 2 days in Spain.

Our program began in Málaga, Spain. 100+ strangers in a hotel with the program staff. You can imagine the continuous small talk, “Hey what’s your name? Where are you from? What school do you go to? Oh VERY cool”… which would often continue with “Bali, from Spartanburg, South Carolina and I go to Wofford.” “Where’s that?”… “South Carolina”… “OHHHH, cool”. And this happened many, many times.

I love people. I would consider myself a people person. So naturally, when I’m thrown in situations like this I want to get to know people. However, it becomes difficult when you’re 1. jet-lagged, 2. caffeine deprived, 3. and when others are just as nervous as you.

I learned very quickly that this was going to be an uncomfortable start, and my bubble needed to disappear. However, there is a bright side to it all, and that is most of my friendships started with an uncomfortable start.

Today, we arrived in Granada after 1.5 days of orientation in Málaga (and Ruhi finally made it). Our host family is wonderful and I can’t wait to try new food every day. I’m so excited to learn new things about Granada and about myself everyday.

Stay tuned for more blogs about food, travel & personal growth!!

-B

2 Responses to The “Bubble”

1. A WordPress Commenter

Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

2. Preeti Chhatwal

Great job Bali! It’ll be fun to follow you in your adventures! Good luck and stay safe