“En las estrellas, tus ojos ver, cuando tus fotos me siento a ver”

Posted by on September 9, 2012

Let me first explain the title of the post. Every student at Wofford who takes 200 level Spanish has to memorize this one song by Juanes (who is kind of like the Justin Timberlake of the Latin American world, except without the embarrassing foray into boy band-ery). The song is called “Fotografía,” which of course means “Photograph.” Since this blog post is solely photos, I thought it would be appropriate.

(Oh, and translated, the lyrics mean “In the stars, I see your eyes, when I sit down to look at your photos.” Much prettier in Spanish, if you ask me.)

Alright, without further ado, pictures!

This first one is the view from my apartment window (it used to be my bedroom, but I moved into a different room in the apartment). It’s also the first picture I took in Chile!

This next one is a view of Santiago from the top of El Cerro Santa Lucía. Santiago has awful pollution problems, so it’s not a fantastic picture, but I love it. This is my city!

This is a picture of some graffiti I saw on the street. It’s nothing major, but the public art is one of my favorite things about the city. It’s considered so ugly in most places in America, but here, it’s a major form of public expression.

This is Valparaíso. We went there my first weekend in Santiago (and a smaller group of us is going again in two weeks!). It’s a gorgeous city, with a ton of graffiti and really bright colors.

Viña del Mar is the city al lado de (right next to) Valpo (nickname for Valparaíso). This is a picture of the first time I’ve ever touched the Pacific Ocean…well, other than Hawaii. But I was little and don’t remember. We were lucky that it was so gorgeous for our beach outing!

The mountains are really pretty, especially after the rain gets the pollution out of the air. Charleston girls don’t see the mountains very often, that’s for sure! (Excuse the Wilson sporting goods store.)

However, one thing I do recognize? Palm trees!

This is a nothing special, just the bridge a couple blocks from my house, but it was on one of the (unfortunately very rare) perfectly sunny days in Santiago. Also unfortunately, I took this picture on my way to study the beautiful Sunday away.

I would be silly not to include pictures of the famous Peteco, our devil cat. (I say devil cat only because he might actually be the devil incarnate…but I actually kind of like him.)

Now, for my last picture, I’ll include a photo of some of my favorite people in Chile…La Kirsten and Cristian. Having Chilean friends has made the whole study abroad experience worthwhile; if I wanted to spend my entire semester with Americans, I would have stayed in America. I’ve learned more Spanish from spending time with Chileans my age than from all seven years of my Spanish classes put together.

And, a Spanish lesson.

“fresco”: Fresh, but not like fruit. It’s more used like “sassy.” For example, when we sit down to eat dinner, only to find Peteco ready to eat in one of our chairs….”Peteco, ¡qué fresco!”

3 Responses to “En las estrellas, tus ojos ver, cuando tus fotos me siento a ver”

1. Ceasar

I WAS wondering about that Wilson picture haha.

2. Fran

Loved the pictures, Ashleigh. Reminded me so much of Spain. What an adventure. Grandma

3. Jenny F.

Someone essentially help to make significantly posts I would state. That is the very first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular submit amazing. Fantastic process!