Las Cataratas

Posted by on September 3, 2013

Some of my best experiences abroad thus far have been like a waterfall.  Just as tranquil water turns into a powerful cataract when it runs over the edge of a cliff; there have been many situations where I’ve simply stepped into the unknown and had the most amazing experience.  I am so at peace here and I’m really learning the value of just appreciating what is around me rather than being too preoccupied in obligations to notice the beauty of the world.  A leap of faith really can create something more beautiful than imagined.

I have come to know multiple locations in the past few weeks such as the MALBA (El Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires) which is currently featuring an exhibit full of Yayoi Kusama’s works of art, San Isidro where Villa Ocampo (home of critic and publisher Victoria Ocampo) is located, Museo de Filete where my friends and I go to tango, and la Feria de Mataderos which is full of folkloric music and booths displaying traditional art.  While each of these locations, among others, is full of culture and history, my favorite “new discovery” of beauty was Iguazú Falls in Puerto Iguazú, Argentina.

Three of my friends and I ventured North on a 20 hour bus ride over our long weekend about 2 weeks ago to witness the beauty that was named one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World:  Iguazú Falls.  These cataracts are truly something of their own.  We were able to stand beside La Garganta del Diablo and look down into the mouth of this gigantic waterfall (which is in the shape of a horseshoe).  Upon arrival I was taking lots of pictures like the countless other tourists but after a little while I just had to stop, take a step back, and admire the beauty because it was absolutely breathtaking.  We additionally walked the “Upper Trail” which gave us a more aerial view of the cataracts.  Lastly, we walked the “Lower Trail” where we were able to walk to the mouth of the waterfall and get completely soaked doing so.  I will always remember the power of the sound of these beautiful works of God’s art.  It was truly incredible.

La Garganta del Diablo

Wofford goes to La Garganta del Diablo!

3 HITOS – Standing in Argentina with Paraguay & Brazil in the distance

Iguazu Falls – One of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World