Post Soviet Politics

Posted by on September 12, 2017

So I’m taking a class on Hungarian Culture this semester and today we had our lecture on the various ethnic groups in Hungary and how everyone got here. Sweet lord, I’m convinced an American Culture class would be a joke at this point. One student made a comment about how identity politics work in the US and compared it to Hungary. Cue a chorus of oblivious white girls (and one Indian girl who assured us that her Indian heritage was enough to make her an expert in American identity politics) talking about how “Nazis have nothing to do with nationalism, you can’t just call everyone you don’t like a Nazi,” (As smart Wofford students I’m sure I don’t have to remind you what the “Na” in “Nazi” stands for) and that “we aren’t academics here,” in response to me explaining that in academia, words are defined by the academics who study that subject. Honestly, I was embarrassed to have come from the same country as these people. I swear, most of us at Wofford at least are educated, care about our education, and know how to have an actual discussion about differing customs.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, next Monday, I’ll have a whole bunch of pictures of my apartment here, so I’ll post those. Should I be in the pictures I’m taking? Because I never am. I’m not about that life. But I want more terriers to come here to this beautiful place, show Hungary that most American college students are great. So like, I’ll do it if it helps.