Is Early Decision right for you?

Posted by on October 22, 2015

This is a guest post by John Birney, Director of Admission

The fall…what does it mean to you? For many, it’s brisk mornings, changing of the leaves and college football. For those of us who work in college admissions, fall brings on travel season, rental cars and delayed flights, meeting students and eating in too many restaurants to count. It also brings about one of the most frequently asked questions: Should I apply Early Decision?

As our November 1st application deadline for Early Decision (ED) approaches, I wanted to take a moment to share my thoughts and advice on this all important question.

Let me begin with a simple question: Is Wofford College your first choice? If you answered yes, you may be ready to make the ED commitment. Many students who have conducted their research, visited schools, taken the tour and visited with students have narrowed their list of colleges – and in many cases have a clear first choice. If Wofford stands alone at the top of your list, ED is a great option for you.

I’m a clear fan of the advantages of applying ED, especially regarding the competitive nature of the selection process. While your application is reviewed holistically, we can’t set aside knowing that you’ve selected Wofford as the college you would like to attend most.  Reviewing applications with this in mind gives you a distinct advantage. The earlier timeline also works in your favor. You learn of your decision on December 1, and can focus on your senior year – not the college application process.

I’m also asked about how ED effects scholarships and financial aid decisions. Simply put, you will not receive a “worse” scholarship by applying ED. At Wofford, we use the same methods to determine both merit and need-based awards. Your financial aid package will be the same regardless of when you apply. With Wofford providing over $51 million dollars in scholarships, I invite you to be among the first to apply for financial assistance through the ED process.

As you prepare to make your selection on which application deadline to select, I do hope to be reviewing your file in the coming weeks. If you have already submitted an application for one of our other deadlines and wish to change to ED, please contact me. Wofford College is a thriving, vibrant community with highly regarded academic programs, outstanding faculty and extraordinary students. I hope you will consider this my personal invitation to join the Class of 2020.

Is Early Decision right for you? I say YES! If you agree, I encourage you to start your Wofford application today.

Sincerely,
John Birney
Director of Admission