Learning the Italian Lifestyle…and The First Days of School

Posted by on January 14, 2015

As I mentioned in my last post, intensive Italian classes were last week and then this past monday we started our regular classes. I am taking an Italian class, business of wine, sustainability in food production and an international marketing class. So far I have been to 3 out of the 4 classes I am enrolled in and I really like them. All of my professors are from Italy, so I definitely have to pay more attention in class to really hear what the professors are saying. I also feel like so many students come abroad and forget they must attend class and complete assignments and take tests. I was one of those people, so just like the beginning of every semester, I am “getting used to school again”.

10917377_10205480944721224_6678540212377859336_n

This is my Italian professor from my Intensive Italian week. He was something else…

Everything else here is going well! I switched apartments to a bigger apartment on Monday and I already feel so at home here. The building we live in is said to have been built in the 600′s- pretty crazy if you think about it. I am slowly adapting to the Italian ways (washing your clothes in the world’s smallest washer and then hanging them dry, only buying just a days worth of groceries at a time). I can’t say I enjoy the feeling of a stiff towel, but at least I have a clean one :) . I’m slowly getting into the swing of things and creating my “Italian routine”, including take a “pause” in the middle of the day where no shops are open, and cooking all of my meals- no microwave meals here. In fact, on sunday as a part of orientation, we got to go to the Orsini farm in Umbria (just a 30 minute drive from the center of Perugia). There, we got to see animals, make (and eat, of course) pasta, and talk about our semester ahead. The farm is overlooking a BEAUTIFUL lake. We will have the opportunity to go back and help on the farm later this semester and that will definitely be something I will do!

10926462_10205735774897694_5358933271361722394_n

Making pasta with the grandfather and grandmother of the Orsini Family!

I am surprisingly not homesick at all, nor have I experienced culture shock (yet), and my FOMO is pretty much non-existent. I have been keeping busy, so I think that is helping too! I officially have visitors coming, too! Jesse and my family booked their flights to come in the middle-end of March, so that is something I am already really looking forward to! I cannot wait to show off this beautiful country and city to them!

A Barcelona trip with 7 of my friends here has been planned and we leave tomorrow night for the Rome airport and I will be in Barcelona all weekend, so a fun picture and post to come!